Why Recommendations Matter
Social proof is hugely important! Think of that last purchase from Amazon. Didn't you consider the reviews?
So, in this post I want to demonstrate - and help you! - with some great tips, examples and ways you can give back to us! :)
Recommendations/testimonials are a Win-Win! It's more visibility for both the giver and receiver.
When asking for them, give specific keywords you'd like to be mentioned up front.
In our case, it's LinkedIn Optimization, Resume Writing and Career Coaching! Why? People may only skim them and/or be shown the first 100 characters!
What LinkedIn Recommends
LinkedIn says a quality recommendation is worth more than skill endorsements.
- A recommendation gives social proof, making you more credible. It also gives more visibility to the giver!
- A poor recommendation might actually hurt. See 11 Sloppy LinkedIn Mistakes That You're Too Qualified to Make (The Muse). You can hide recommendations if you need to.
- Endorsements and Recommendations that don’t really say anything about your value are worthless. This includes sentences like, “She is great” or “I recommend her.” But you can’t put the blame on the person who gave you the recommendation. Instead, ask them for more context...
Best Recommendation Tips
Here’s the secret: Give more than you receive!
- When you give one, it encourages the receiver to want to give one to you, while making you look good.
- Don’t be afraid of having 1:2 or even up to 1:4 ratio of received/given!
- Endorsing skills works the same way. Give to receive.
- But when common sense isn't so common and they don't reciprocate, ask...
How to Ask for Really Helpful Recommendations
How to Write Amazing Recommendations That Actually Help
- 5-Minute, 5-lines and 5 Steps to Writing an Amazing LinkedIn Recommendation
- How to Write a LinkedIn Recommendation in 2020 [Quick Tip - 6 Steps]
- The 3 Elements of Great LinkedIn Recommendations
More on Recommendations
Reasons to Recommend
Always earn a recommendation! If I haven't helped you already, see our blog for some of The Best LinkedIn #ProfilesThatPOP Content Out There.
If you are NOT getting LinkedIn notifications or feed content you want, it's because liking and following are no longer enough to keep seeing content you want. Here's a post I did about that, straight from the horse's mouth!
LinkedIn ENGAGEMENT is a Win-Win - it helps spread the word, and brings visibility to your profile! In all content I share, I simply ask you to engage with a like, comment or share to help share it to others!
Influencer testing shows that thoughtful comments of at least 5 words, 3-5 times a day will boost your views.
And I'd recommend reacting to everything - even your own posts, comments and replies! E.g. If you ask a question in a comment, add the Curious reaction.
Consider Recommending Me!
Nothing like a little Karma kickback! ;)
So, if I've helped you, please consider RECOMMENDING ME.